Should you stop moisturizing your skin when you have acne break-outs? It may be tempting to try to dry out your skin but this is not a good idea. Moisturizers are needed for ALL but the most oily skin types.
- Help to keep the skin’s protective, outer barrier intact and minimize irritation (redness).
- Counter the drying effects caused by many acne treatments, including over-the-counter products and prescribed medications.
When choosing a moisturizer, look for products that are:
- Oil-free, free of mineral oil and petrolatum.
- Non-comedogenic, containing ingredients that do not clog the pores.
- Fragrance-free. Fragrance is a common skin irritant.
And may contain:
- Ceramides. These are manufactured lipids that work by replacing natural lipids, fatty substances that moisturize the skin.
- Sunscreen if for day use when sun protection is needed.
*Note: If you are using an acne treatment, apply this first and follow with a moisturizer.